Technical and Cost Manager
Technical and Cost Manager
Key Skills & Requirements
- Experienced Cost Engineer/Estimator in the Civil Engineering, or relevant alternative, construction Sector
- Demonstrable expertise in a specific range of cost engineering techniques
- Ability to work in a complex structured project and programme management environment to tight deadlines
- Able to engage with project stakeholders and work closely with project teams ensuring effective communication to achieve the desired outputs
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Project or similar planning tools effectively
- Experience of working with and development of estimating templates, tools and techniques.
- Working with Highways England
- To act as a source of advice on planning and estimating matters and manage activities across the business.
- To contribute to the development of a process improvement approach to cost engineering.
- To work with commercial colleagues to contribute to the improving capability of the cost engineering function and commercial expertise in the wider business
- Provide expert advice on planning and estimating matters in relation to allocated schemes and undertake project cost estimates in accordance with current guidance and tools
- Audit, develop and challenge estimates received, including target costs, to contribute to effective cost driven management of all projects
- Contribute to and develop commercial approaches throughout the Directorate to improve feedback and data in relation to process and cost intelligence
- Lead and mentor Assistant Cost Engineers
- Contribute to guidance on cost estimation/measurement/risk assessment/development and implementation of consistent reporting templates to capture and analyse relevant data
- Assess safety performance to minimise risks, develop improvements and escalate issues with relevant authorities in a timely manner and carry out any tasks identified to the post in the Level 2 and relevant 2a Organisational Health & Safety RACI charts
- Based in West Midlands
- Provide support to the head of technical and cost in the management of the budget, ensuring the programme is being delivered within budget.
- Manage the technical and cost review and assurance processes at various stages of delivery.
- Ensure programme/project level cost and budget reporting and management is up to date.
- Ensure that there is consistency across the programme and all information produced by the delivery teams is of the required standard.
- Ensure that appropriate and proportionate reviews are undertaken and support the approvals by ensuring technical sign-off is provided.
- Assist in the management of the technical advisory appointments to the programme/project, including associated works, ensuring that the service provided meets the standards required by the appointments and supports the programme/project in managing risks and delivering within the programme budget.
- Provide on-going support, guidance and training where necessary to the delivery teams on technical and cost matters across the programme.
- Support wider objectives, helping ensure consistency between and across programmes/projects where required and provide inputs to centralised or cross programme activities including the management of the Frameworks.