Senior Mechanical & Electrical Surveyor
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the maintenance and development of the Estates infrastructure required to support front line operational firefighting staff in one of the largest combined Fire and Rescue Services in the country.
We are looking for an experienced Mechanical & Electrical Surveyor who will be based in Salisbury and will be responsible for covering the Dorset and Wiltshire Estate.
The successful candidate will:
- Carry out detailed condition surveys of M&E equipment, gas / electrical / water systems and associated plant across the Estate, identifying defects, proposals for repair / replacement, scopes of work, cost estimates and providing advice to team members on reactive maintenance solutions and the works required to meet changes in legislation / standards
- Be responsible for the development and management of a legally compliant planned preventative maintenance system including the production of contract documents for tendering purposes and management of the appointed specialist contractors
- Be responsible for populating the Asset register with maintenance data, test certificates, O&M data and record drawings for legal compliance and lifecycle planning purposes.
- responsible for carrying out environmental measurement surveys to support the carbon reduction plan and provide energy efficiency proposals with cost estimates for the capital improvement programme.
You must have:
- 4 GCSE’s Grade C or above, including English and Mathematics, or equivalent Level 2 qualification
- Educated to degree level with membership of CIBSE / IET or equivalent
- Significant knowledge and experience of M&E systems (gas and electric), legislative compliance, contract procedures, Health and Safety in construction, condition surveys, design and on-site works management
- Flexible in your approach to work and able to work in a changing environment
- Able to work on your own initiative, with good organisational and time management skills
- An effective communicator, with a positive attitude to customer care
Other Information / Rewards and Benefits:
- Full valid Driving Licence and access to your own vehicle (business use insurance required); however, a Service pool vehicle may be available
- Frequent travel will be required across both counties (mileage allowance payable)
- Option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Generous Annual Leave allowance, plus Bank Holiday entitlement
- We operate a Flexi-time scheme
- Blue Light Card eligibility - access online discounts and high street offers as part of the UK's Emergency Services, NHS or Armed Forces
- A Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance will be undertaken on the successful individual prior to offer of employment
Find out more and apply
If you think you would work well in this role and help make our community safer then we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday, 11th March 2018. It is intended that interviews will take place on Thursday, 22nd March 2018. Interviews will take place at Service Headquarters in Salisbury.
For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Jerry Welch, Building Services Manager on 01722 691380 or 07786 174222.
You should ensure you include satisfactory evidence in your application to support all of the areas stated as being measured at the Application Stage on the Person Specification. This will ensure you have the best opportunity of progressing to the next stage of the selection process.
We operate the Disability Confident (Two Ticks) Guaranteed Interview Scheme for disabled candidates. Please tell us in confidence if this applies to you, or if there are any reasonable adjustments that would help you apply for this post.
If you hold international qualifications, you will be required to provide official evidence that shows how these compare to UK Qualifications. We will accept a Statement of Comparability from a UK organisation called NARIC which can be obtained via their website: http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Compare%20Qualifications/Statement%20of%20Comparability.aspx Please note that UK NARIC charge for this service, so if you request a Statement of Compatibility, you will be required to pay for it as we are unable to reimburse you.
For further guidance on how to complete your application, please refer to the Job Application Guidance Notes.
Please complete every box. If necessary mark as N/A, or Not Applicable, so we are sure that you have no information to provide. Your application may not be submitted through the system if every box has not been clearly marked with a response.
All applicants will be e-mailed throughout the process; therefore please check your emails regularly. Your email may be found in your Junk mail, so please ensure you check this section of your mailbox as well.
Internal staff applying for vacancies should complete their application in their own time.
If you are experiencing difficulties completing your application or have a need to complete your application in an alternative format due to a disability, please contact HR Services on 01722 691444 within plenty of time of the closing date of the position you are applying for.
Values and Behaviours Framework
Our recruitment, assessment and progression processes are based on our RESPECT Behaviours Framework that has been developed specifically for a career in Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service. When recruiting, we identify the most important behaviours for the role and these are used as part of the short-listing and selection process.