Contract Systems Engineer
Your new company
High profile manufacturing company specialising in the design, manufacture, supply, lifetime extension for the nuclear industry. Their systems have been protecting personnel, the environment and major infrastructure for over 60 years. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing business in one of the fastest growing industries.
Your new role
The Systems Engineer will provide systems engineering support to Systems BU projects. The Systems Engineer will operate as a key member of the project team bringing experience in safety/systems engineering to the team. The Systems Engineer will also support bid work by scoping the systems engineering tasks for the proposed work.
- Responsible for supporting the safety/systems engineering aspects of projects.
- Responsible for drafting and estimating the systems engineering aspects of bid work.
- Responsible for applying appropriate systems engineering practice on projects.
- Responsible for supporting representations of project systems engineering to the project customer community.
Key activities for the role
- Supporting the engineering team to provide the best solutions for the customer base.
- Produce concise and accurate technical reports, requirements specifications and associated documentation as required to meet the specific needs of the project.
- Support the safety/systems technical authority in the business area for the proposed solutions and be prepared to justify safety/systems solutions to senior management, the customer and ultimately the regulator, the Health and Safety Executives Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR).
- The review and verification of technical reports, drawings and designs for safety/ systems, functionality and compliance with ONR Safety Assessment Principles (SAPs).
- Supporting the delivery of safety/system solutions to the customer to the right quality on time and to agreed costs.
- To provide technical support to project managers on systems engineering issues.
- To provide systems engineering subject matter expertise to represent the business with customers, suppliers and other industry groups, including presenting work and concepts in appropriate public forums.
- To ensure all work in this area is carried out ethically, safely and in accordance with the relevant standards and best practice within the nuclear industry.
What you'll need to succeed
Qualifications / skills required
- Degree qualified engineer, preferably in electrical/electronic engineering or IT/computer systems.
- Chartered Engineer with membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant institution would be an advantage.
- Experience of safety/systems engineering or design and in a safety regulated industry.
- Knowledge of safety system design in accordance with IEC 61508 or similar safety standards (IEC 61513, IEC 61226).
- Good knowledge of systems engineering processes, standards and methodologies (e.g., IEC 15288, UML).
- Good knowledge of systems engineering tools such as DOORS, EA, Teamwork.
- Ability to communicate effectively across a broad range of technical and business disciplines within industry.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks, set priorities and make decisions.
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with the ONR SAPs and TAGs would be an advantage.
What you'll get in return
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.