Mechanical Design Engineer
Fairhome Group PLC is a group of experienced companies that deliver services for investment and acquisition, development and ongoing maintenance of properties within the care sector using secured investment funds. Fairhome Property Developments sits within that group and undertakes property construction, refurbishment, maintenance and commercial fit-outs on a national basis for a variety of clients with surveying, architectural and building services design, health and safety and CDM work, along with project management and cost control.
There is a real family feel at Fairhome, employees are valued and looked after, so along with regular benefits you will have access to superb facilities onsite including a fully expensed restaurant, bar, gym and leisure facilities. You’ll be working from modern offices with a welcoming working environment, and if that’s not enough, complimentary cake and refreshments are always available.
About the role
We are looking for an ambitious, dynamic Mechanical Design Engineer looking to progress their career with Fairhome Property Developments as we as a team and as a company grow. You will be responsible for design and assessment of mechanical building services engineering systems of existing redevelopment/refurbishment or new build care home and assisted living properties working as part of our multidisciplinary in-house design team. The role will consist of a mixture of office-based design work along with site visits as required pre- and post-construction, working with internal and external members of the design and construction team and clients.
This role would suit candidates with 4-10 years’ experience in Mechanical building services design looking for a fresh challenge with a different type of company.
- Understand the condition and suitability of Building Services through desktop studies and site visits and determining scope of works required in conjunction with clients and other members of the design team
- Carrying out design work including calculations, reports, equipment schedules and specifications and input to mechanical building services engineering drawing packages including the following systems:
- Heating systems via gas or oil fired boilers, electric heating
- Hot water systems – gas, oil or electrically heated
- Mechanical supply and extract ventilation systems
- Hot and cold water systems – mains and boosted cold
- Above ground drainage
- Utility services to buildings
- Ensuring compliance with Building Control and Planning Conditions
- Liaison with other disciplines, external design consultants and contractors as required throughout project
- Working with project managers and in conjunction with external and internal contractors and site operatives during concept, pre-construction and project delivery phases for handling site queries and research and development of project technical solutions
- Liaison with equipment suppliers and development of supply chain for system procurement
- Input to designer’s Health and Safety and CDM duties
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge/qualifications in Mechanical Building Services Engineering design
- Autodesk CAD and Microsoft Office packages
- Experience of site works including mechanical condition surveys and snagging/inspection during construction works, experience of commissioning witnessing
- Experience in specification writing (NBS or NES type) would be beneficial
- Experience in thermal modelling/EPC assessment would be beneficial
- Experience of sustainable design solutions
- Knowledge and application of Building Regulations (Part L, Part F etc) and appropriate British Standards (heating, natural gas, pipework systems etc)
- Knowledge of RIBA Plan of Work/BSRIA Building Services Design Framework process
- Ability to manage workload of multiple projects and prioritise workload
- Working as part of a team or autonomously
- Writing and verbal communications
- Analysing and problem solving
- Membership of professional engineering institution (CIBSE/IMechE/IET) – preferred but not essential. We will support candidates looking to progress to CEng/IEng or EngTech level