Facilities Manager, Kent
JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: FACILITIES MANAGER REPORTING TO: Finance Director & Deputy Managing Director
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Projects Officer, Maintenance Officer
LOCATION: Head Office, Faversham
SUMMARY OF ROLE
As an experienced property professional, the post holder will provide a wide range of technical, professional and property management services to the organisation. The post holder will need to recognise the importance of ensuring the companies care homes and offices are well maintained. The post holder will liaise with operational managers to assess and deliver improvements, where agreed and prioritise and manage the budget for the planned maintenance and equipment replacement programme. The post holder will also be forward thinking and will prepare 10 year lifecycle renewal plans and costings to enable the organisation to forecast expenditure requirements. The post holder will need to be able to develop good working relationships with a wide range of people and will also need to be well organised and have excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- To be responsible for the maintenance of Companies properties ensuring that the facilities, including buildings and their services, meet the needs of the people that live and work in them.
- To be responsible for planning, specifying and delivering agreed development programmes and refurbishments, subject to the overall guidance and agreement of the Deputy Managing Director. This will include the full range of duties from the preparation of tender documentation and specifications, supervising building works and contracts and dealing with all matters up to final accounts.
- To work with Home Managers and the Heads of Services to develop the annual budget for planned maintenance, prioritising needs for property facilities across the organisation.
- To manage and work within the approved annual budget, liaising with the Finance Team to monitor and forecast expenditure.
- To prepare 5-10 year lifecycle renewal plans and costings to enable the organisation to forward plan expenditure requirements.
- To ensure that accurate financial records relating to all property maintenance and development expenditure are maintained and policies and procedures are properly followed for all related processes. E.g. Maintenance Requests, Purchase Order Processing and maintenance of the database.
- To carry out feasibility studies on potential developments to include project costings and cash flow.
- To ensure that all building repairs and maintenance works are carried out fully in accordance with current health and safety legislation and that the organisation's legal and other obligations in such matters are adequately protected. Ensuring that the Maintenance & Compliance records, which cover areas such as legionella and gas safety compliance, are kept up to date is a key requirement.
- To ensure fire risk assessments are regularly carried out and that any resulting actions are implemented and recorded in a timely manner.
- To manage and regularly review the approved list of contractors, ensuring all documentation such as insurance certificates are received and to ensure value for money is achieved by adhering to the purchasing procedures detailed in Standing Orders.
- Ensuring that contracts for regular maintenance works are tested for value for money on an agreed periodic basis.
- To review and draft policies and procedures for the Property Manual which forms an essential part of the organisation's quality standards and compliance.
- Responsibility for the organisation's environmental policy and promoting the importance of environmental protection, operating responsibly and in compliance with all legal requirements and regulatory bodies. The post holder will also be proactive in future planning and seeking cost savings through environmental efficiencies.
- To support the Home Managers and Head of Care Homes as required, in the management of the Maintenance Technicians who report to the care home managers. E.g. support with technical matters and recruitment.
- Managing any office moves to ensure they run smoothly and according to plan.
- To recognise that the Development Department acts as a service department within the organisation, and to always maintain good relationships and communication with other departments and operations.
- Promote the organisation's Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Comply with the Health and Safety and fire regulations.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties required from time to time.
- The post holder will on occasion have access to confidential information about residents, staff and the organisation. It is a requirement that confidentiality is strictly maintained as required under the Trust's policies and procedures.
NOTE: This job description is provided to assist the post holder to know what his/her duties are. These duties may be amended or added to from time to time following consultation with the post holder, without change to the level of responsibility appropriate to the post and the salary, in order to provide the best service and assist with the smooth running of the Property Department. FACILITIES MANAGER
PERSON SPECIFICATION Essential Experience/Skills:
- At least 3 years' experience in a similar role.
- Experience in successfully managing the maintenance of a portfolio of properties.
- Experience in managing planned maintenance programmes and resolving complex repairs and maintenance issues.
- The ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Experience of local authority planning processes.
- The ability to prepare detailed works specifications.
- The ability to prepare and manage budgets.
- The ability to write reports and communicate clearly.
- Experience of developing positive working relationships with operational colleagues.
- The ability to manage a varied and complex workload, work under pressure and prioritise work.
- The ability to work flexibly, adaptably and consistently with limited supervision and with sound judgement and initiative.
- Experience in using the necessary ICT (in particular good Microsoft Excel skills) to carry out the responsibilities of the post.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety requirements.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and regulations.
- A full driving licence and ownership/use of a car.
- A qualified building surveyor with RICS or equivalent.
- Experience of managing the maintenance of care homes.
- The ability to draw plans.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.