Programme Support Engineer
Are you an experienced Engineer looking for your next move?
Do you hold an HNC or equivalent in a relevant engineering or construction subject?
Join our team as a Programme Support Engineer based in central Birmingham on a full time permanent basis.
As a Programme Support Engineer you will provide engineering support to ensure that excellent building services are provided in the new and refurbished buildings that are to be delivered as part of WMP’s estate strategy. The role will involve supporting the programme with building information and records management, as well assisting with engineering problem solving and on-site scrutiny of work to ensure it is correct and of good quality. It will also include some engineering support of the existing estate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with others create and maintain a building and engineering record library to support the estates strategy and existing estate, including defining appropriate classification methods systems. A significant part of this will be to incorporate the ideas and technology of Building Information Management (BIM) appearing in the construction industry
- Receiving engineering documents, drawings and BIM models and correctly incorporate them in the property library, so they can be accessed and used by others. Maintaining the quality and integrity of the library stock
- Providing training and support to others on how to classify engineering documents and how to access them.
- Creating and modifying CAD drawings as required
- Supporting construction by visiting sites to inspect the M&E works and ensure that installed equipment specification and quantity matches records held and that workmanship is to a good standard.
- Working with stakeholders to identify and resolve problems. Witness related installation testing and commissioning, resolving or escalating any problems found. Ensure all relevant documentation is correctly entered in the library
- Supporting building project officers and project and programme managers with problem solving, progress reporting, and provision of models, data and record keeping
Within this role you’ll work Monday – Friday; occasional working outside of core hours will be required. As a Programme Support Engineer you may be contacted outside of working hours during an emergency.
You will also be required to travel to sites within the Force area (Coventry - Birmingham – Black Country).
Here at West Midlands Police (WMP), we serve almost 2.8 million people – making us the second largest Police Force in England. We’ve just started an ambitious programme to modernise the force’s buildings, a once in a generation leap forward in estate quality. Working in the force’s Property Services department you will play a key role in providing the building services in the new and refurbished high-spec buildings that we will be creating in the coming years.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to evidence/demonstrate:
- A qualification to HNC level or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- Technical and practical knowledge of a wide range of building services.
- Proven ability to manage construction documents and records within a defined structure.
- An ability to comprehend and structure a large quantity and range of different document types.
- A good knowledge of BIM.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety practices.
- Clear and effective communication, with a proven ability to inform, educate and persuade.
- Accurate and methodical and a good planner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in parallel.
- Proficiency in the use of standard computer applications (Office etc).
It is desirable but not essential that you hold a membership of a relevant professional body, are proficient in the use of AutoCad and Revitt and familiarity with engineering contract management (JCT/NEC).
WMP is a large and diverse organisation where you can develop your skills, knowledge and career in an encouraging and flexible environment. We're also able to offer you a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
- 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) with the option to purchase additional days.
- Agile and flexi-time working.
- Access to other corporate health and benefit schemes, including a Corporate Travel Scheme.
- A modern working environment in central Birmingham.
- The option to join a generous pension scheme.
Diversity and Inclusion Vision: “Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities”
WMP are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
Closing date: 26th November 2018.