Assistant Mechanical QS
Assistant Quantity Surveyor Rochester, Kent Salary £35k to £40k + Pension
Your new company
The Assistant Quantity Surveyor (AQS) will be expected to provide support to the project staff and will form a key part of the commercial Team, providing effective financial and contractual assistance on all contracts allocated to him/her.
The Assistant QS plays a pivotal role in assisting the project allocated QS throughout the lifecycle of the project and will be trained to eventually financially manage allocated projects and be the main point of contact for the Clients Commercial Team from the stage of securing the project to completion. The Assistant QS will be allocated a project(s) and deal with sub-contractor procurement/appointment, forming of contracts, sub-contract management (commercially) and pricing variations to pass onto the main contractor.
Your new role
The Assistant QS will be expected to carry out several tasks, using a variety of software packages, such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Projects etc., to produce financial documents and reports, as well as maintaining records, spreadsheets and databases. Key tasks will include:
- Providing comprehensive financial and surveying related information as required by Management/Directors, including monthly reports for their allocated project(s).
- Establishing & maintaining relationships with Clients & Sub-Contractors and managing the pre-employment process.
- Procurement of sub-contract packages, via creation of invitation to tender documents, and collating information to gather a group of quotations that are project compliant.
- Negotiating with sub-contractors to agree a price for the sub-contract element of the works & ensuring all sub-contract packages are procured for their project(s).
- Forming sub-contracts to issue to the sub-contractor.
- Creating interim certificates for each sub-contract application for each of their project(s).
- Measuring works for interim valuations/sub-contractor certification by recording dimensions/quantities.
- Recording and agreeing of extra works, day works & variations throughout the contracts.
- Recording all relevant events for delay and loss and expense claims as/when necessary.
- Monitoring payments, to ensure full payment is received for all work claimed and certified. May be required to 'chase' outstanding payments.
- Pricing of all relative variations for their respective project(s), ready for submission to the client.
- Agreeing final accounts with sub-contractors.
- Invoicing or contra-charging of any defects relative to their respective projects until the end of DLP for their project(s).
- Assisting management in provision of statistics and other surveying related information for meetings/reports.
- Provide estimating department with statistical information for new rates & maintain filing systems/record keeping.
- Familiarisation with specification/drawings for each project, as well as the terms & conditions upon which we are employed, to assist in highlighting changes, variations etc.
- Managing and maintaining a 'league table' type document for sub-contractors to assist in reviewing performance and providing feedback.
What you'll need to succeed
- Must have 1-2 years' experience within the industry.
- Hold or be working towards an HNC/degree level qualification in QS/related subject (sponsorship available)
- Awareness and experience of construction methods, technology, standard forms of measurement and forms of building contract
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business documents, technical procedures, drawings, government regulations
- Work independently, establish priorities and make decisions and being a strong negotiator
What you'll get in return
- Salary £35k to £40k + Package
- Training & Development
- iPad, Mobile Phone & Travel paid
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.