Senior Mechanical Engineer
- This role involves working with clients to develop technical and commercial strategies, producing designs and specifications, preparation of project cost estimates, supporting the tender process and overseeing the delivery of projects.
- Project management including the co-ordination of technical, commercial and procurement advice from internal and external associates. Delivering projects on time and on budget to high customer satisfaction.
- Acting as Client’s Engineer or Client’s Project Manager to ensure best value is obtained from contractors. Advising clients on options, risks and mitigation. Operating embedded within the client’s office where required.
- Supporting our wider consultancy practice as to deliver high quality technical analysis and reports including energy audits, stock assessments, scoping studies, options appraisals and detailed engineering design, identifying and prioritising cost effective energy efficiency solutions (supply and demand).
- Oversee and inspection of installations of measures, commissioning, organising and assessing the work of contractors.
- Achieving project profitability. Tracking costs, managing and forecasting spend, ensuring that work is kept to budget. Manage resources. Manage invoicing.
- Providing technical sales support to Sales colleagues ensuring proposals are correctly scoped and priced.
- Support the development of new propositions, identifying market needs and subsequent opportunities. Spotting innovations and making the business case for pursuing them.
Relevant experience required:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar client-facing role in the building services/energy efficiency industry.
- Expertise in generation technologies and renewable or low carbon heat/power sources including CHP, heat pumps, gas/ biomass boilers, controls.
- Expertise in heat networks and distribution systems including hydraulic modelling.
- Knowledge of building services within commercial and public sector operations
- Knowledge of current Building Regulations.
- Strong technical skills including applying engineering first principles.
- Ability to calculate carbon savings, fuel cost savings and whole life costings of measures.
- Client and stakeholder management (internal and external), interpersonal and communication skills, managing clients expectations, promoting excellent working relationships.
- Negotiation and persuasion to support Sales colleagues through both account management and successful tender submissions.
- Project management skills to deliver technical, multi-stakeholder projects on time and on budget.
- Advance excel skills. spreadsheet manipulation, complex calculations and production of graphics.
Qualifications/education level required:
- Degree in Engineering subject or equivalent.
- Proactively working towards Chartered Membership of CIBSE or IMechE.
Desirable experience, knowledge, skills, qualifications:
- Experience in dealing with commercial businesses (retailers, manufacturers, etc)
- Experience in dealing with Local Authorities.
- Experience in dealing with managing third party contractors.
- CIBSE Low Carbon Consultant.
- CIBSE Heat Networks Consultant.
- AutoCAD and modelling software such as EnergyPro, IES, TAS, Hevacomp, and Revit.
- As the role includes travel, visiting clients across the UK and on occasions overseas, and keeping in contact with internationally based clients there is a requirement to be flexible around hours of working.
- Full UK driving licence