Associate Director & Head of Energy, Knowledge Solutions
Job Title: Associate Director & Head of Energy, Knowledge Solutions
Reports to: Director of Sectors, Knowledge Solutions
Location: London, Chiswick
Date: June 2019
Purpose of the position To develop BSI’s growth strategy within the energy sector, and work in collaboration with Knowledge Solutions delivery teams to meet in-sector financial and operational targets. The role will develop and implement the sector’s market engagement, product development and go-to-market planning, focusing on priority high revenue opportunities and policy engagement to position BSI as a partner of choice and recognised thought leader in the sector.
The focus of the role will therefore include energy generation & distribution (including oil, gas, renewables and nuclear) and energy storage, networks and systems, including consideration of the wider backdrop of the growing clean energy & low carbon agenda, climate change and digitalisation. The job holder will be responsible for leading on in-sector initiatives across Knowledge Solutions, supported by one or more Sector Leads and a cross-functional multi-disciplinary team. The job holder will establish themselves both as a “go to person” for industry and product knowledge within BSI KS and BSI Group, and as an influential figure in the energy sector. .
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Strategy & Planning
- Develop the sector’s 5 year strategic market development plan, focusing on profitable high revenue and reputational growth opportunities across the energy sector. The plan will encompass the development of market engagement, product development and go to market plans. Critically the plan will include the full portfolio of KS product and service offerings.
- Maintain a strong understanding and oversight of the key market trends and developments within assigned sectors, including knowledge of customer needs, competitors and the broader political, economic and social trends to identify the primary opportunities for BSI.
- Establish the sectors market engagement strategy working closely with the External Policy, National Sales and the Regions as appropriate. Establish a network of senior level contacts, including regulators, across the sector and coordinate the annual engagement activity targeted at business, government and consumer groups across prioritised market development opportunities.
- Contribute to the annual planning round. Support the Director, and the KS Executive in the development of the annual KS strategic plan.
- Ensure that market engagement activity is translated into explicit customer needs, work across the business to coordinate the conversion of these needs into specific customer focused solutions. Provide market context and sectoral insight for content, product, sales and marketing teams.
- Join and participate in relevant sector boards, councils, committees and initiatives, promoting the role of standards, building a network of contacts, developing strategic partnerships and relationships, and positioning BSI with industry and government decision-makers
- Work closely with the KS Services team to generate new opportunities for consulting, research, private/public standards development solutions and international projects, with a particular focus on large-scale, high-value opportunities.
- Ensure that the KS Services Business Development team and Content Solutions, Product Development and Sales and Marketing teams are kept informed of sector developments and industry trends and provide a pipeline of leads through targeted market engagement activity.
- Oversee the management of all key stakeholder relationships for the sector, including those with the Standards Policy and Strategy Committee , other key strategic sector committees, influential committee experts, and provide visible sector leadership for relevant BSI committees.
- Work with HMG, and local, regional and other national governments as appropriate, to identify how standards and other KS offerings can support government policy and the future regulatory regime for the sector
- Provide a visible BSI presence in sector through involvement with the key energy advisory bodies, the relevant professional and industry institutions & associations, public speaking, media and PR, exhibitions, conferences and social media
Programme Delivery & Product Development
- Commission research and intelligence reports and generate position papers and proposals tying the objectives of these projects to priority market development plans.
- Develop sector commissioned content plans in line with overall content strategy
- Set the direction for the standards work programme for the sector, identifying areas for the establishment of new standards programmes and committees, and related standardization services. Provide sector leadership and sponsorships for services projects in sector. Coordinate the generation of new ideas for the development of information products both single standard and document collections (e.g. BSOL, Compliance Navigator etc.) along with ideas for value adding content that compliments BSI’s core product offering. As agreed with the Product Development team, contribute to the development of new product businesses cases and their subsequent implementation.
- Interface with Group Product Development team, providing sector insights and keeping them informed of key standards in development within a 3-5 year time horizon. Contribute to Group sector strategy, supporting the development of cross business marketing and market development campaigns as appropriate and working collaboratively on international initiatives.
- Assess business cases for new standards, committees and complimentary product offerings, with particular focus on pre- and post-publication promotional activity to ensure revenue and profit targets for individual products are achieved.
- Define the international standardization strategy for the sector, influencing European and international standardisation strategy for the sector, overseeing the in sector international secretariats held by BSI, maintaining and identifying new secretariat opportunities, and developing partnerships with other standards organizations as appropriate
Leadership & Management
- Lead and develop a high performing internal sector network that brings together colleagues from across KS to deliver the sector growth strategy
- Manage a team of sector leads, to develop specific sector opportunities
- Provide input and feedback to line managers on the performance of the internal sector network members
- Providing input to the resource manager to ensure that the appropriate level of resource is established to deliver the sector network objectives.
Key Outputs / Success Factors
- Development of Sector and Market Development Plans
- Creation of new work programmes
- Growth of sector revenue across product and service revenue lines
- Visibility of BSI with industry and government stakeholders
- Market engagement and stakeholder relationship management
- Management of team performance against KPIs
- Sector team network leadership
- Set and oversee the strategic direction of BSI’s offering to the assigned sectors
- Budgetary control, delivery of sector growth and profitability targets
- Typically manages 1-3 direct reports and a virtual team of 10-25 colleagues
- Develop close working relationships with KS Services, Product Development, Content Solutions, marketing, sales, PR, group product development and key contacts across the regions
- Confident working with a wide range of external stakeholders to a senior level
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Strong strategic and commercial outlook
- Relevant experience in the energy sector
- Portfolio management, acquiring a holistic view of the full product portfolio
- Ability to communicate and influence across the business and with external stakeholders
- Operating at a senior level in the external business environment
- Outstanding communication and network skills
- High level ability in leading, managing & coaching staff
- Publishing, market and product development within a relevant business
- Proactive and flexible approach, ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Ability to acquire and maintain sector knowledge
- High level budget control and reporting with P&L experience
- Willingness to travel within the UK and beyond