Programme Support Engineer
Do you want to help create exciting and important buildings?
Do you hold an HNC or equivalent in a relevant engineering or construction subject?
Then come and join our team based in Birmingham.
Here at West Midlands Police (WMP), we serve almost 3 million people – making us the second largest Police Force in England. We have just started an ambitious programme to modernise the Force’s buildings, a once in a generation leap forward in estate quality. Working in the Force’s Property Services department you will play a key role in providing building services in the new and refurbished buildings which will be created in the coming years.
WMP is a large and diverse organisation where you can develop your skills, knowledge and career in an encouraging and flexible environment. We are also able to offer a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
- 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) with the option to purchase additional days
- Flexi-time working
- Access to other corporate health and benefit schemes, including a Corporate Travel Scheme
- Modern working environment.
- The option to join a generous pension scheme
This role provides engineering support to Property Services and their stakeholders, so that excellent building services are provided across the estate. It will involve supporting the programme with building information and records management, as well assisting with engineering problem solving and on-site scrutiny of work to ensure it is correct and of good quality. It will also include some engineering support of the existing estate.
- Working with others to create and maintain a building and engineering record library which will support the estates programme, using the ideas and technology of Building Information Modelling (BIM) appearing in the construction industry.
- Receive engineering documents, drawings and BIM models and correctly incorporate them into the property library, so they can be accessed and used by others. Maintain the quality and integrity of the library stock.
- Provide training and support to others on how to classify engineering documents and how to access them.
- Check the quality and completeness of supplied CAD and BIM documents.
- Support construction by visiting sites to inspect the M&E works and ensure that installed equipment specification and quantity match records held; workmanship is to a good standard. Resolve or escalate any deficiencies. Work with stakeholders to identify and resolve problems. Witness related installation testing and commissioning, resolving or escalating any problems found. Ensure all relevant documentation is correctly entered in the library.
- Support building project officers and project and programme managers with problem solving, progress reporting, and provision of models, data and record keeping, as agreed.
- Work in a safe and responsible way at all times, ensuring that WMP’s H&S and security policies are complied with, including - where required - issuing of permits to work, development of risk assessments and method statements (RAMS) and review of 3rd party RAMS.
- Maintain full and accurate records relating to H&S, quality checks, testing, commissioning and in use servicing. Produce reports and briefing notes on problems, defects, emerging opportunities or good practice.
- Manage supplemental minor works arising, including specification, procurement and delivery within time and cost authority.
- Support engineering activities in the existing estate, to include contract management of one or more maintenance services.
- Continue to develop professional and technical skills, with a commitment to continued professional development including a willingness to acquire news skills and experience.
- Work in a professional and positive way, maintaining personal integrity in all matters, and upholding the Force’s commitment to diversity and fairness.
For further information or for an informal discussion about the role please contact Stewart Meikle, Force Engineer, 07765 280884.
Diversity and Inclusion Vision: “Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities”
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
Knowledge and Experience
- A qualification to HNC level or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- Technical and practical knowledge of a wide range of building services.
- Proven ability to manage construction documents and records within a defined structure.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety practices.
- Clear and effective communication, with a proven ability to inform, educate and persuade.
- Accurate and methodical and a good planner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in parallel.
- Proficiency in the use of standard computer applications (Office etc).
- Membership of a relevant professional body.
- Knowledge of BIM.
- Ability to use of AutoCad and Revitt.
- Good knowledge of health and safety practices within the construction industry.
- Knowledge of public sector procurement.
- Familiarity with engineering contract management.
- Familiarity with quality procedures in the construction industry.
Hours of Work and Flexibility
The ability to travel to sites within the Force area (Coventry - Birmingham – Black Country) and the physical capacity to safely move around construction sites.
Mon-Fri, 36.5 hrs flexitime; however, occasional work outside flexi-time hours may be required. This will normally be reimbursed as time off in lieu.
Contactable at any time in the event of an emergency.
Agile, flexi-desk, capable of working anywhere.
This post is subject to security vetting.