Energy Compliance Professional
Why this job matters
This job enables BT to deliver on its purpose. The team manage environmental risk for BT globally and provides the central coordination and management to the operational areas managing risk whether through a formally Certified EMS (ISO14001) or not. This role is key to complying with our compliance obligations, delivering the Energy Aspect that is formally part of the BT wide EMS, maintain an ISO50001 aligned EnMS and support wider energy operations
What I’ll be doing – your accountabilities
The accountabilities of this job are:
- Manage the UK Energy Aspect in line with ISO14001 certified EMS
- Maintain and develop the EnMS to the ISO50001 standard, including
- 1st line assurance across operational delivery and EnMS processes
- An effective training programme
- Manage and coordinate an internal and external audit programme
- Own a BT wide energy engagement programme
- Ensure BT is compliant with all UK Energy and Carbon legislation
- Deliver all energy related reporting, including:
- Project Manage energy reporting in support of DIS reporting commitments (annual reporting, CDP etc)
- Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
- Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
- Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR)
- Support the wider EMS and Energy Team
Skills required for the job
- Stakeholder Management: Able to establish and maintain internal and external stakeholder relationships and facilitates mutually beneficial negotiations to develop solutions, ensuring they meet current and emerging business and technical needs. Ability to work at all levels – ranging from MD to front-line across multiple CFUs.
- Technical Expert: An industry-recognised subject matter expert, typically at post-graduate level of formal education and professionally certified
- Risk Management: The ability to identify risks, balance the threats and opportunities associated with the risks, take appropriate mitigating action against the risks and track and manage risk over their lifetime
- Business acumen: Knowledgeable in business strategy and the drivers of organisational performance, including people drivers of performance and financial literacy (e.g. business KPIs, business cases)
- Financial Acumen: The ability to apply financial knowledge to the financial management of own work area, project, programme, business unit, business case or contract. Has good understanding of financial principles and is able to apply them to their immediate work area/project.
- Ability to work in pressured environments e.g. in relation to bids or in terms of driving the necessary estate transformation
- Member of a professional body e.g. Energy Insitute
Experience you would be expected to have
- An industry-recognised subject matter expert, typically at post-graduate level of formal education and professionally certified, e.g. Member of the Energy Institute or Chartered Energy Manager.
- Typically with 5-10 years of relevant experience in the field, e.g. in terms of energy management and control – inc. delivering legal and regulatory aspects and reporting
- On-site work required, so awareness of working environments and safe practices etc.
- Absolute focus on protecting BT, its people, our customers and the communities and environments in which we work and operate.
- Strong risk management ethos.
Connected leaders behaviours
- Customer Champion – Establishes customer needs, uses operational and technical expertise to deliver brilliant experiences.
- Commercial Thinker – Uses understanding of internal commercial insight and latest external thinking to develop and implement ideas that benefit BT
- Collaborative Partner – Maintains internal and external relationships, collaborating both operationally and technically to delivery business results.
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that’s you and what you’re looking for, we’d love you to be part of our future.
Why Business Unit/Function
We are in an incredibly competitive industry and it’s not just the technology that’s important, but the world of promise it creates for our customers. We live and work in a connected world where people want seamless service, great products and the best connectivity there is, as well as continually expecting more and more from us, and rightly so. Technology is BT’s powerhouse, with our expert technologists, we have a unique position in BT. By bringing together our technical and commercial expertise, and our insight and passion for customer experience, we help BT stand out from the competition. With the best networks and smart innovative products, combined with a personal experience, it sets us apart from the pack.
Innovation drives everything we’ve done since BT started in 1846. Coming up with new ideas and developing new technologies is central to our future. We want to improve people’s lives for the better in welcome, relevant and affordable ways and we’ll be fast to market with an effortless experience to match. We will continue to focus on developing our converged network capabilities which will give customers seamless connectivity. Our skilled people will lead this technological revolution, not only for our customers but for the industry across the Globe, truly making customers our heartbeat.
In Technology, we’re creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re happy to consider ways of working that will mean you can perform at your best.