I am currently seeking a Principal Electrical Design Engineer to join an established multidisciplinary design consultancy over 50 staff, we provide architectural, structural/civil engineering, interior Design and Building Services/MEP Engineering.
This role is to work within the electrical design team and to work closely with associates in developing business, with a view to progressing your career with superb CPD courses to a more senior role within the company.
The role will be based at our head office in Hemel Hempstead, but will be flexible to include home and multiple location working in line with BAM’s flexible working policy.
You will report directly to the MEP Associates and will be expected to work alongside all other design disciplines within the consultancy.
• Support the MEP Associates in all aspects of the MEP development and resource planning
• Lead projects, representing all MEP disciplines across a range of projects
• Manage and forecast spend, ensuring that work is kept to budget
• Manage a variety of projects within a short period of time
• Manage the resource of the mechanical design team.
• Accountable for the P+ L with the department
• To act as a focal point within design alongside other principal engineers for all issues related to Electrical Services Engineering.
• To be actively involved in the business and technical development Design and in particular the MEP team.
• Advocate knowledge sharing to all members of the project teams
• Assess and respond to training requirements of project teams.
• Assess and respond to hardware and software requirements of project teams.
• Engage with project delivery teams and encouraging collaboration from early design stage to final handover.
• Engage with staff and provide guidance in their personal and professional development, including undertaking personal development reviews where required.
• Development and management of the companies Design protocols relating to delivering MEP Design deliverables to meet our clients Information requirements, including BIM Level 2 and ISO19650
• Undertake quality management reviews of all projects and ensuring compliance against project requirements
• Ensure all projects are designed and managed in line with our duties under the CDM regulations
You will have previous experience of working on a number of large multidiscipline projects across all market sectors with a particular focus on Education and Commercial
• Excellent working knowledge of Building Regulations and IEE/CIBSE/BSRIA Design standards
• Working Knowledge of D of Ed and BCO Design standards
• Working Knowledge of the 18th Edition Regulations BS7671
• Excellent working Knowledge of main British Standards which are applied daily to designing and specifying, Electrical services systems including; High & low voltage electrical systems, life safety systems, lighting, FA, Security and Data Networks.
• Smart buildings and low and zero carbon technologies
• Working Knowledge in the use of Amtech , Dialux and Relux lighting software
• Use and develop Building Information Modelling (BIM) to ensure systems are coordinated in a complex construction or refurbishment project
• Attending a range of project group and technical meetings
• Ensure that the design and maintenance of building systems meets legislative and health and safety requirement
• Excellent knowledge of RIBA/BRSIA work stages and the deliverables associated to the building services industry
Education and Qualifications
• Chartered Engineer and MCIBSE or MIET is essential
• Engaged in Institutes professional development is desirable
• Degree qualified is desirable
• Demonstrable experience holding at least a Principal Engineers role
To succeed in this role the following key skills are required:
• Be a team player, proactive and self-motivated.
• Good time management skills in order to commit to work deadlines.
• Possess excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to explore, learn and use new technology and software.
• Strong communication skills, both verbally and illustratively.