MASS is seeking a full-time Building Services Engineer to join our team in Kigali, Rwanda. We are a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture and engineering with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design towards a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system. Our projects seek to support equitable and climate positive transformation of the built environment.
Therefore we are seeking a talented Building Services Engineer with experience in energy modeling and building physics to join our growing practice. This collaborative individual will support our multi-disciplinary Engineering Team and play a key role in the design and construction supervision of building services for MASS projects. The candidate is anticipated to support a variety of projects, leading and training junior engineers, integrating innovative, sustainable and low energy solutions to tackle design problems across the continent. Once projects reach the construction phase the candidate will work alongside the site team to ensure construction meets design intent.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in science or engineering with a strong basis in mechanical systems, physics and mathematics. A masters or other specialist training is an advantage.
- 5-10 years of professional experience working on all phases of design and design management including scheme design, development of design documents, construction detailing, coordination, management of construction documents, specifications and design reports.
- Expertise in environmental, mechanical and plumbing design, including passive and active cooling systems, natural and mechanical ventilation, rainwater and foul water drainage and hot and cold water services etc.
- The capacity to coordinate collaboratively across disciplines and manage project schedules and budgets.
- Verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences including senior leadership, constructors, partners/clients and the communities they serve.
- Proven experience overseeing building services installation through construction, ideally in East Africa.
- Proven experience in producing Bills of Quantities and reviewing and adjusting designs based on project costing advantages.
- Proficiency in energy and thermal modeling software such as IES and EnergyPlus, or ability to conduct complex building and system analysis in Excel.
- Command of Autodesk software (AutoCAD, Revit) as the primary tool for building drawings.
- Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, tracking schedules and budgets, developing quality standards and protocols, and training and mentoring junior team members.
- A commitment to applying the MASS methodology and enforcing high project standards, delivering own work in connection with broader team/project goals.
- A commitment to setting a culture of excellency, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated interest in low carbon design, construction and building performance.
- Registered with recognized engineering institution.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture and engineering profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Interested candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal - access via our website https://massdesigngroup.org/node/1516. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible - we will review applications as we receive them and close the opening online when we find the right candidate. We will be in touch with next steps once your application has been reviewed.