Permanent Job - Sustainability Manager University
Your new company
The Post-holder will lead on delivery of the University Sustainability and Environmental Strategy promoting the embedding of sustainability across the institution by promoting sustainable management techniques, protecting and enhancing the campus landscape and grounds. To lead on operationalisation of energy plans and initiatives that support the University's goal to achieve its net zero greenhouse gas emissions target. This will be delivered through the implementation of University-wide environmental and sustainability policies and management systems. To be responsible for providing oversight and management of the sustainable travel plan ensuring that car parking and campus bus services are operated effectively to meet the needs of staff, students, tenants and visitors.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Sustainability Manager will deliver key responsibilities:
* To implement strategic planning in line with the University's Sustainability and Environmental Strategy.
* Leadership of the Sustainability section to deliver a sector leading operational service to meet KPI's across all teams and to provide a clear, strategic and operational direction,
* Ensure delivery and management of Sports Grounds to the necessary standards required to maintain the world class facilities on site. Lead both the Gardens and Grounds teams to deliver a resource efficient service that is customer focused, consistent and maintains the landscape to a high standard.
* Assured management of the energy and utilities budget of c£10m ensuring effective forecasting and reporting to ensure that the total budget allocation is not exceeded,
* Support the Deputy Vice Chancellor lead the University Climate Environment Task Group.
* Develop costed masterplans to support delivery of the key objectives in the University Energy Strategy, including carbon reduction and net zero greenhouse gas emission pathways
* Identify and adopt sectoral and industry standard targets, including developing and implementing appropriate reporting requirements and targets for sustainability and environmental issues,
* Review existing University and sector policies, procedures and guidance to identify opportunities to improve the University's sustainability, including biodiversity, land management, energy, procurement, waste management, transport, construction and environmental techniques,
* Lead the implementation of improvement plans,
* Ensure delivery and continual improvement of management and maintenance of appropriate monitoring systems, surveys and audit processes and their incorporation and integration into existing management systems,
* Through engagement and liaison with senior staff, teaching and research staff, student and other sustainability and environmental related groups, support the practical adoption and implementation of innovative sustainability ideas on campus,
* Take ownership of the University's sustainability and environmental related monitoring and audit records, including the University's environmental management system ISO 14001 2015, wider reporting and other returns or standards as may be adopted by the University,
* Participate and provide reports and recommendations to appropriate committees as required on all matters relating to Sustainability and Environment performance, including Senate, Council and external agencies.
* to understand and practically implement sustainability and environmental policies and requirements commensurate with your level of responsibility to enable you to discharge individual and the University's legislative duties,
* Represent the University at sustainable and environmental stakeholder groups, overseeing and engaging with environmental and sustainability task and finish groups. Coordinating press and promotional initiatives in conjunction with the University's marketing and advancement team, including managing and developing the University's sustainable and environmental website and wider communications
* Support the efforts of and advise the University's officers and committees on best practice standards and to monitor and report ongoing status,
* the post holder will be required to carry out such other duties within the post holder's competence as may be required from time to time in connection with the management of the University's sustainability agenda and its environmental impacts and aspects,
* To understand and implement Health & Safety policies and requirements for yourself and others, commensurate with your level of responsibility within the Department to enable you to discharge your other duties and responsibilities safely.
* by attending appropriate training and fulfil the requirements of any course of study attended as applicable.
* To work as an active member of Estates & Facilities Management in support of the wider estate's services in the first instance and as a team member of the University.
* Any reports purporting to the activities of Loughborough University, its staff and its undertaking should be approved by the Head of Maintenance, Engineering & Sustainability prior to publication.
* To assist the Head of Maintenance, Engineering & Sustainability and others in developing University staff, suppliers' staff, and students' skills regarding the sustainability and environmental aspects of their work for all levels of staff, including those whose first language may not be English.
* To attend appropriate training and fulfil the requirements of any course of study attended as applicable.
* Direct members of staff and contractors to ensure projects and works on campus meet current environmental legislation.
* Such other authority specifically delegated in writing from the Head of Maintenance, Engineering and Sustainability.
* Responsible for meeting all budget and financial objectives.
* Overall Management of the budget for respective areas of management.
* Constantly review all cost mechanisms to achieve best value for money.
Standards of Performance
The required standards of performance will be met when:
* Work is carried out diligently and in accordance with University standards and policies.
* Ensure procedures, guidance and management plans produced are clear and can be understood by their target audience.
* Operational plans and self-assessments are agreed with Head of Maintenance, Engineering & Sustainability and are achieved.
* Individual efforts assist in creating a working environment in which staff and contractors are motivated to work in a sustainable manner.
* Stakeholders are aware of sustainability and environmental issues
* Satisfactory stakeholder feedback is received.
* Collation and completion of EMR/EMS/SLS data reporting and other indexes as required to agreed timescale.
Flexible working options available. 44 days leave and 20% employer contribution pension scheme
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.