Civil Engineering job in the West Midlands - traffic signalling, resurfacing, Highways Maintenance Engineering
Your new company
A local authority in the West Midlands that provides services to residents of the borough. There are six main towns which make up the borough. The borough has excellent access to the national motorway network with five junctions feeding in to the M5 and M6 motorways and also benefits from a mainline train station and the Midland Metro. The borough has 1,200 hectares of parks, playing fields and local green space, and over 30 miles of canals.
Your new role
You will assist the Senior Engineer, Principal Officer, Group Manager and Highway Services in the delivery of the Highway service using all the available resources (both in-house and external) to secure the safe and efficient movement of traffic and pedestrians and improve the overall performance of the highway network.
Your main duties will include:
- Undertake, from inception to completion, road safety, traffic management and highway maintenance construction schemes or other highway projects of an engineering nature, with responsibility and implementation of action plans consistent with a drive for continuous improvement.
- Undertake consultation with members of the public with regard to proposed highway projects and schemes
- Prepare financial estimates and monitoring of expenditure
- Provide expert and professional advice to and on behalf of the Highway Services manager and Director of Regeneration and Growth
- Undertake research into and interpret all relevant legislation, DfT circulars, papers and technical journals.
- Actively participate in the planning and development of the activities of the designated section in pursuance of strategies and policies.
- Assist in the day to day supervision and mentoring of junior
What you'll need to succeed
You will hold Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Foundation Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent with 2 years relevant and satisfactory experience in either Highway Asset Management, Traffic and Road Safety Engineering or Highways Development Control. You have experience in the inspection, assessment, design, delivery of highway structures (Bridges); and also, Traffic Signals. You can show experience in the assessment of carriageway condition and experience in the design, delivery or supervision of carriageway treatment schemes (resurfacing/ surface dressing or micro techniques). You are able to work in a busy, open plan office environment and are an excellent communicator with colleagues and stakeholders, developers and other organisations. You can also demonstrate experience of representing an organisation at meetings with other stakeholders, professionals and lay persons. You have knowledge of a Highway Authority's statutory functions, policies and procedures, including experience in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Asset Management Policy and Plans
- Asset Data Management (Asset Inventories/ data requirements, collection, processing or reporting)
- HIAM Guidance
- HMEP lifecycle planning toolkit (or similar)
- Codes of Practice for Highway Infrastructure (including the HIAM Framework)
- Developing and/or management of prioritised programmes of work
- Embedding risk management
- Design and delivery of highway schemes
- Road casualty analysis and preparation of improvement programmes
- Highway comments of planning applications
- TTRO's, Diversion Routes and Temporary Signals
- Network Traffic Management
- Highway Permits & Licences
- Stakeholder engagement
- Regional Traffic & Transportation
- Regional and Combined Authority liaison
- Regional Bids & External Funding
- Professional Services Commissions
What you'll get in return
You will be offered a competitive salary and a range of excellent benefits including 30 days holiday (+ 8 bank holidays, pension scheme, hybrid working scheme and flexible working scheme. There are also good study support packages for any training or advancement that you wish to undertake. You will be joining a forward thinking, motivational organisation that will offer you job security and long term career prospects.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.