We are exclusively working with the client to recruit for a Principal Design Engineer
Principal Design Engineer
Salary: Depending on experience
Location : West Midlands
Your new company
Our client is a supplier to some of the biggest names in the automotive and commercial vehicle industry. We are exclusively working with the client to recruit for Principal Design Engineer to provide guidance and manage the design of components for use in air systems on vehicles.
Your New Role
* Support department development, new technologies and techniques
* Lead the design of components and related assemblies
* Support the development of the product from conception through to manufacture
* Create, lead, and approve the creation of 3D models along with associated and detailed 2D drawings to enable manufacture
* Utilise, assist and supervise calculations and design aids as appropriate to meet design specifications
* Check and approve all technical changes and releases, provide technical advice in response to internal and external enquires
* Meet cost and timing targets to enable a commercially viable product
* Communicate with external suppliers, the appropriate internal departments and personnel to optimise manufacturability, quality, cost and performance requirements
* Liaise with other departments e.g. Purchasing, Quality, Manufacturing and product management on a frequent basis
* Be a Technical expert for Mechatronics, supporting the Systems team in defining requirements
* Produce, lead, and approve specifications for components to include material, finish, etc.
* Support the Chief Engineer if defining departmental training needs
* Support the Chief Engineer in resource management, competency alignment and performance levels of the group
What you'll need to succeed
* Eligibility to work in the UK
* Degree in Engineering or equivalent
* Relevant CAD skills
* Good working knowledge of BS8888
* Good working knowledge of IATF 16949
* Working knowledge of design of plastic/rubber moulding
* Working knowledge of design of aluminium casting.
* Working knowledge of design of pressings.
* Working knowledge of APQP
* Use of Microsoft packages
* Ability to carry out stress calculations.
* Ability to use FE software to analyse component stress levels from 3D
* Ability to be creative and innovative in the design process
* Ability to solve problems and be self-motivated.
* Ability to manage and motivate a team of engineers
* Ability to communicate at all levels, verbal, written and presentations.
* Ability to work with others in a cross discipline team of engineers.
* Proficient in the use of ProE/Creo CAD to produce 3D models and 2D drawings for components and assemblies utilising Windchill
* Knowledge of pneumatic systems as they apply to truck and heavy trailers would be an advantage
* Working knowledge of 8D problem solving process
* Working knowledge of FMEA and DVP&R process
What you'll get in return
* Competitive salary
* Opportunity to progress further within the organisation
* Flexible working hours and benefits
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call our Senior Business Manager Richard Nield on 07598044485 or submit your CV us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.