Intermediate Embodied Carbon Engineer- £34K to £44K + Package
Do you have a deep passion for innovation, sustainable design, and environmental responsibility?
Our client is widely regarded as the best medium sized consultancy in the market at present and they are a consultancy where passion and career really align. They are incredibly well run, have interesting, sustainably lead projects, a great attitude to staff wellbeing and happiness and are very much a business in the ascendency.
They have always had a firm commitment to sustainable building design and innovation, and they have revolutionised many aspects of the built environment. Having designed a multitude of net zero energy buildings they seek not to meet compliance, but to push for greater performance.
Overall, a sound business model that works across multiple sectors which makes the business agile and able to cope with changing market conditions.
- Current projects range from £2M to £500M and include Commercial, Education, Healthcare, Leisure, Regeneration and Retail schemes throughout the world
- Committed to minimising bureaucracy to allow engineers to design - not fill in forms/spreadsheets
- Committed to be fully Revit and BIM compliant within next 6 months (currently 80% achieved)
- Winner of the CIBSE Performance Awards
- Committed to growing their business by promoting to Senior level and beyond
- 80% of Senior roles within the business derived from internal promotions
- Very low staff turnover
Their target is to continue their sustainable growth by employing passionate engineers that will provide the engineering quality they provide to their clients, with a focus on helping the construction industry reduce its negative impacts and provide a pathway to meet its climate change targets.
We are looking for an experienced Intermediate Embodied Carbon Engineer to be based in their London Office carrying out LCA and embodied carbon project work to support embedding low carbon strategies. The role will involve supporting the Lifecycle team in carrying out embodied carbon assessments while also helping to further develop industry knowledge and application of whole life carbon.
You will have experience of the built environment, either with the design of buildings or building services, and have familiarity with the basics of LCA and embodied carbon assessment.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Environmental Design and Sustainability team
- Undertake Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), Whole Life Carbon (WLC) and associated studies on projects.
- Development of bespoke analysis methodologies to meet project requirements - could require existing software processes, or development of new tool
- Work on the delivery of Net Zero Carbon, this could be through Zero Carbon Roadmaps, decarbonisation strategies, policy development and project design
- Carry out embodied carbon analysis on whole buildings and MEP systems
- Provide narrative content and graphical content to support the pitching for new work and explaining what the client does - this will include creating thought leadership articles and blogs on embodied carbon.
- Deliver compelling presentations
- Identify new work opportunities with Client and other professionals
- Seek to gain CIBSE chartership or equivalent
- Maintain and/or develop understanding of general sustainability issues as they relate to the built environment
- Maintain and/or develop a latest codes, regulations, policy, and certification schemes (e.g.
- LEED, BREEAM, WELL, FITWELL) and benchmarking systems as they relate to environmental design
- Have consideration for the Whole Life Carbon of our decision making, considering embodied carbon.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience in embodied carbon in the built environment
- Understanding and/or competency in LCA tools such as One Click LCA (preferable) or eTool
- Hold a relevant degree in engineering/ architecture/ science, and have experience in the built environment field
- Able to provide a deep understanding of sustainability and environmental design issues relevant to Whole Life Carbon with focus on embodied carbon
- Developing relationship building and client management skills
- Experience of delivering high-quality technical reports
- Excellent attention to detail and high standard of written English
- Flexible working hours & permanent 3 days office / 2days from home
- 1:30pm finish every Friday
- £100 per month to put towards a health and well-being activity of your choice
- Free onsite Yoga and other exercise classes
- Accredited CIBSE Training Plan & in the past 12 months 7 engineers achieved CEng status
- Secondments to their sister offices in Canada, Australia or the USA
- 4% Pension, 25 days leave, 4 x Life assurance
- Annual performance and pay review