Senior Engineer or Director in HVAC & Plumbing Engineering
Full-Time position in MASS Kigali Office (Rwanda)
MASS is seeking a Senior Engineer or Director in HVAC and Plumbing who has the skills and experience to lead a team in Kigali. We are a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture and engineering with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design toward a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system. Our projects seek to support the equitable and climate-positive transformation of the built environment.
We are seeking a talented HVAC & Plumbing Engineer with 7-10+ years of experience to join our Engineering Team in Kigali. The candidate should have the proven ability or potential to manage a team of HVAC & plumbing engineers and oversee and execute multiple and complex projects from concept design through construction documents. The candidate should be capable of, and committed to, mentoring junior staff and delivering projects that respond holistically to the crises of climate, justice, and biodiversity.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 7+ years experience for senior level and 10+ years for director level (including master's degree if relevant)
- Bachelors of Engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Corporate Membership with the Institution of Engineers Rwanda (IER) or international membership with an appropriate engineering institution
- Technical expertise in heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, water, and drainage systems.
- A deep understanding of building physics and the opportunities related to passive design measures and their impact on active building services.
- Experience taking on the responsibility of Engineer of Record and supporting site teams through the realization of their own designs through construction.
- Ability to manage a team of HVAC & plumbing engineers and oversee and execute multiple and complex projects from concept design through construction documents.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner whilst consulting Principals as needed to ensure continued project progress and success.
- Skills in / experience setting up appropriate teams with clear roles and work plans, coordinating between disciplines, managing project schedules, and budgets, and training and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Skill / experience in business development including fee and scope proposals for prospective projects and ability to develop and maintain relationships with potential clients.
- Skill in / experience developing standards and protocols, driving efficiency, quality, and safety.
- Ability to interrogate Bills of Quantities, and adjust designs based on project costing advantages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences including senior leadership, constructors, partners/clients, and the communities they serve.
- Expertise in energy and thermal analysis software such as IES or EnergyPlus or have the expertise and extensive experience building Excel spreadsheets for engineering calculations and assessments.
- Command of Autodesk software (AutoCAD, Revit) as the primary tools for building drawings.
- A positive and proactive attitude.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 120 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is adequately equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture and engineering profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Interested candidates should submit all application materials through the SlideRoom portal via the link at our website: https://massdesigngroup.org/index.php/node/1702.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible - we will review applications as we receive them and close the opening online as and when we find inspiring candidates. We will be in touch with the next steps once your application has been reviewed.