About Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
CIBSE, the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers is one of the leading professional engineering institutions in the UK and overseas, having over 21,000 members across the UK, the Gulf States, Hong Kong and Australasia. We are a charitable institution, set up 124 years ago to advance and promote the art, science, and practice of building services engineering, to invest in education and research, and to support our community of built environment professionals in their pursuit of excellence. We promote the profession of building services engineering by accrediting courses of study in further and higher education and are the standard setter and authority on building services engineering.
The Institution provides the voice for the profession, is consulted by government on matters relating to construction, engineering, and sustainability, and is represented on major bodies and organisations which govern construction and engineering occupations in the UK, Europe and worldwide.
About the role of Technical Director:
Working to the bold ambition of growth, influence, and impact of our Chief Executive (Appointed in May 2021,) we need our technical and policy work to continue to engage and guide our membership in their ability to meet the ever-increasing demands placed upon our profession each day, particularly in matters of regulation and sustainability.
CIBSE is seeking to appoint a new Technical Director who has an exceptional knowledge of engineering as well as the capacity to engage and influence our critical stakeholders. As the Technical Director you will report to the Chief Executive and play a key role on our leadership team. You will also work closely with the incumbent Technical Director, (who is moving into a newly created, externally focused advisory role of Chief Technical Officer), and lead an established and highly capable team.
As the Technical Director, you will be responsible for:
- Leading and managing the technical and policy work of CIBSE, with responsibility for all aspects of technical quality across the institution.
- Directing the development and maintenance of CIBSE technical guidance, including the Divisions, under the oversight of the Knowledge Management Committee.
- Leading the development of CIBSE policy responses, working closely with the Technology Committee, relevant Special Interest Groups and Divisions, and seeking input from the wider membership.
- Engaging with policymakers and regulators in the UK, offering advice and counsel through consultation responses, supported by high quality research and a solid evidence base.
To qualify as the Technical Director, you must have experience of:
- Relevant professional qualifications in engineering or similar technical
- Working in a relevant management role in a commercial engineering business and / or
- professional body
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating an established and capable team.
- Proven technical capability in building engineering (or associated engineering field) and significant understanding of issues effecting CIBSE Members (or similar)
- Strong intellect and strategic thinking capability combined with strong attention to detail and written skills and a creative flair.
- Communicating complex issues clearly to a variety of audiences.
- Working with and through others, drawing on deep-seated technical expertise where appropriate.
- Motivating and managing external advisors and stakeholders whilst managing multiple competing priorities.
How to Apply
You must please apply by submitting an up-to-date CV and accompanying supporting statement via the 'apply now button'
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners: Thomas Ewen; Thomas.email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Sunday 5 th February at 23:59
To proceed with your application, please either:
Click “add to list” if you would like to look at other roles before starting to apply.
Click “apply now” if you are ready to start now.