Band / Grade A2
Salary £53,000 - £63,330 Per annum
Post Type Concurrent
Contract Type Permanent
Working Pattern Full Time
Leave entitlement Starting at 30 days per annum, pro-rata
Pension Civil Service Pension Scheme
Closing Date 29th January 2023 at 23:55
House of Commons
The House of Commons is a unique and exciting place to work right at the heart of the UK's thriving democratic system.
Behind the scenes, the House of Commons Service is made up of more than 3,000 employees who support and facilitate the smooth day to day running of the House. They provide professional services to Members of Parliament, their staff, and the wider parliamentary community.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Access to training and development.
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
Parliament’s Strategic Estates team (SE) manages all property and engineering infrastructure across the Parliamentary Estate. The Design Authority manages, which sits within SE, is the lifecycle of the buildings together with providing advice and assurance to the Project Delivery and Maintenance groups. The Design Authority has a core of expert in-house staff providing continuity, direction and support to colleagues, consultants and contractors, and represents the estate with key external bodies. It also manages the records and digital models for the buildings and infrastructures, and leads the Clerks of Works, CDM Safety Advisors and Building Services Consultant contracts. It is staffed mainly by Chartered professionals covering Conservation Architecture, Electrical, Mechanical, Public Health, Electronics, and Control Systems Engineering.
The Mechanical Engineer role is to support and deputise for the Lead Mechanical Engineer in the Design Authority, on the installation and replacement of mechanical, public health and specialist building services across the buildings on the Estate. The post holder will develop lifecycle strategies for these services, be responsible for their Parliamentary design guides and standards, and lead research into new and emerging technology areas. They will write briefs in their specialist area for their own and others’ projects, and undertake specialist improvement projects and feasibility studies up to several £m. They will provide expert support to ongoing projects and programmes, initiate improvements and ensure lifecycle value for money.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of working with limited guidance, communicate respectfully, and support equality, diversity and inclusion
- Experience of understanding and applying tendering processes particularly Public Sector Procurement rules; KPIs; industry contracts such as NEC3; and project delivery methodologies such as the RIBA Plans of Work
- Experience as an onsite representative overseeing site installation, monitoring, testing and commissioning complex mechanical services and equipment
- Experience of Influencing the behaviours of stakeholders, contractors and colleagues to achieve objectives without damaging relationships
- Experience of promoting and facilitating effective relationships between staff, managers, consultants, and contractors ensuring that everyone is treated with dignity, courtesy and respect
- Experience of effectively presenting and conveying a range of technical information in clear, unambiguous language to lay audiences
- Experience of effectively managing several complex activities at the same time
- Understanding of project delivery methodologies (eg RIBA Plans of Work)
- Basic understanding of procurement; contract management, KPIs; standard contracts such as NEC3
- Basic understanding of tender processes, contract management, finance, public procurement, listed building and safety regulations
CV and Supporting Statement - If you would like to apply for this role, Please submit a CV and supporting statement of no more than 500 words demonstrating how your skills and experience meet all criteria on the Job Description.
Mechanical Engineer (Building Services) JD.pdf – 133KB
House of Commons Benefits and Support .pdf – 495KB