As Building Services Engineering Manager you will be involved in a fascinating and rewarding range of work rarely available to built-environment professionals. Reporting into the Head of Facilities Management you will be providing expert consultative mechanical and electrical engineering advice and setting standards across the Trust on how to maintain and improve our mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) assets.
As our subject matter expert you will drive asset compliance and improved performance, and support new developments and installations. You’ll use your engineering expertise to identify innovative solutions to the many challenges we face, ranging from management of historic electrical and mechanical heating systems to the implementation of latest technology to meet our climate and sustainability challenges.
This is a national role, contractually based from our Swindon head office, of which you will be required to attend approx. once a month. Within this role you will be regularly travelling to our sites across England, Wales and N.Ireland. We anticipate you will be travelling 2 days per week.
We are offering a salary in the region of £55,000
Internally this role is known as ‘Senior National Consultant – Mechanical and Electrical Engineering’.
What it's like to work here
Our portfolio is complex; we are one of the biggest landowners in the UK and looks after over 28,000 buildings. One day you might be considering the nuances of lightning protection on stately homes, while on another day, looking at how we approach electric vehicle charging or the installation of new renewable heating systems.
This opportunity to join a successful, cause driven team will enable you to apply your skills to a wide range of technical areas at amazing locations. Every challenge we deal with is different and the variety of work is enormous.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be responsible for setting standards and providing technical advice and guidance to our teams in relation to management of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing assets across the organisation, being sympathetic to the heritage buildings within our portfolio. This will include advising on, and where appropriate drafting, briefs, specifications, condition assessments as well as supporting the procurement of additional external technical services.
You’ll be committed to sharing your knowledge, upskilling our operational teams and developing our people and leading change in practice and behaviour.
Who we're looking for
- Experience in one or more of the following relevant areas: Electrical, Mechanical, Building Services Engineering
- Knowledge of relevant standards, engineering risk management, and procurement best practice in this field
- Experience of problem solving and implementing solutions at a range of scales, together with proven experience of developing and implementing best practice
- The ability to build effective internal and external relationships and deliver a high-quality service.
- Project and budget management skills and experience of managing and delivering innovation in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Effective negotiating and dispute resolution skills
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.