The Estates Department is recruiting for a newly created Building Services Engineer role for their team. Supporting the Head of Estates, you will primarily be responsible for the provision of Mechanical & Electrical Building Services in the Laboratory and Research facilities, ensure services and maintenance activities are carried out in a safe and compliant manner as well as manage projects in related areas. You will also play a key role in the delivery of LSTM’s broader Sustainability Strategy and carbon reduction targets.
Key Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Manage, monitor and ensure safe and compliant mechanical and electrical services and processes are delivered to the laboratories, research areas and office spaces whilst working closely with the wider Estates team and Research Heads.
- Undertake regular site inspections, produce and maintain SOP’s and ensure the relevant codes, regulations, legislative and health and safety standards are adhered to during the various phases of maintenance and installations.
- Responsible for the establishment and delivery of maintenance programmes / schedules, (planned, condition, inspections and reactive) that are aligned to and support LSTM’s strategies and corporate plan.
- End to end management of projects relating to building services installations from inception to completion including site surveys, design, specification, procurement of tenders, contract administration, site inspections, installation, commissioning programme, cost management and budgets.
- Undertake risk assessments and apply appropriate controls and other procedures to manage/mitigate risks across the spectrum of related areas as well as develop and maintain a suite of KPI’s in relation to the performance of the building services installations.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant statutory Health and Safety legislation and recommendations, attending safety training as required.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- BTEC HNC or HND in Mechanical or Electrical Services or building services with minimum 5 years post qualification experience.
- Ideally a Chartered engineer (CIBSE - IEng) or working towards becoming Chartered.
- Project management of building services projects from inception to completion.
- Experience of providing building services functions within a specialized laboratory /research environment and familiar with CL3 facilities.
- Thorough working knowledge of statutory regulations relating to specialist laboratory installations, plant and equipment, mechanical plant, pressure vessels, British Standards, IET Wiring Regulations, Legionella – Approved Code of Practice & Guidance L8, COSSH, Health & Safety at Work Act, and the CDM (Construction, Design and Management) regulations.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills coupled with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of ability to react calmly in a crisis and to demonstrate persistence and robustness in the face of obstacles.
Additional benefits of joining LSTM:
- 30 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, plus Christmas closure days
- Generous occupational pension schemes
- Government backed “cycle to work” scheme.
- Affiliated, discounted staff membership to the University of Liverpool Sports Centre
- Plus, a host of additional family friendly policies
Informal enquiries can be made to Kevin Stewart, Head of Estates on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 22 October 2023
Application Process: To apply for the position, please upload your CV and Covering Letter. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we may close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role.
Inclusion is central to our values at LSTM.
We seek to attract and recruit people who reflect the diversity across our communities, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, nationality, faith or belief, social background, age and disability. LSTM selects candidates based on skills, qualifications, and experience.
We welcome conversations about flexible working; and applications from those returning to employment after a break from their careers.
Founded in 1898 and the oldest of its kind in the world, the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence for teaching and research in tropical diseases. Through the creation of effective links with governments, NGOs, private organisations and global institutions and by responding to the health needs of communities, LSTM aims to promote improved health, particularly for people of the less developed/resource poorest countries in the tropics and sub-tropics.
Look at some of the great work we have achieved over the past year by viewing our annual report:
LSTM Annual Report 2021-2022 | LSTM (lstmed.ac.uk)
LSTM actively promotes Equal Opportunities and Safeguarding Policies